Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Maryland

My mother passed away and does not have a will. My brother received power attorney on my mother death bed. There are a total of children, One house in MD, a house and 45 acres of land in VA, multiple vehicles and no one on the same page. Would love to find an attorney to take case.

Asked on 11/09/10, 5:14 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Richard Abraham Abraham & Bauer, LLC

Every year my firm provides representation to numerous estates in Maryland. Feel free to telephone me on Monday at 443-901-1333

Read more
Answered on 11/14/10, 5:48 am
Cedulie Laumann Arden Law Firm, LLC

I am sorry to hear of your mom's passing. The power of attorney has zero effect after death (it is only good during someone's lifetime). If your mother had no will, the laws of intestacy will dictate how her property will be divided up. You mention properties in both MD and VA, but an attorney will want to know where she was domiciled (that is, where she permanently lived) at her death.

You are welcome to call my firm at 410-216-7000 or contact another attorney of your choosing. It is prudent to get the estate process started sooner rather than later. While the above post is not legal advice, I do hope it helps.

Read more
Answered on 11/15/10, 6:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Maryland