Legal Question in Business Law in Massachusetts

I am a Greek foreign national currently in the U.S. under a student F-1 visa for undergraduate studies at Harvard University. Me and two other undergraduate students, also at Harvard, are looking into founding a non-profit organization and applying for tax exempt status with the IRS. We also have US citizens that will join the board of the organization.

Will we be able to serve as members of the leadership team (President, Vice President, Secretary) and/or the Board of Directors in the organization based on our employment authorization to only accept on-campus employment? Since the employment authorization specifies that we can work for any company/organization offering its services to the student body, and our non-profit has the purpose of running a social justice and arts conference, along with online actions related to that goal, will we be covered? Lastly, since the other two founding members are Canadian citizens, who will be in Canada for the rest of the year, can they participate as Board members or serve on the leadership team?

Asked on 7/20/20, 7:51 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lawrence Graves Coolidge & Graves PLLC

You should consult with immigration counsel, as this query is not really one that business lawyers can answer. I can give you a referral if you don't already have your own immigration lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 7/21/20, 5:00 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Massachusetts