Legal Question in Consumer Law in Massachusetts

I hired a contractor to gut and remodel my house due to a fire. The contractor agreed to do the work for $430k. He recently found out my policy limit is $780k. I have already paid him about 300k and he has about 20% of the work done. He recently told me that he needs another 60k. I have a written contract for the $430k. He tries to create change orders for me to sign in which I won�t. My question is, Can he decided to walk off the job and not do any more work because I won�t give him any more money and sign the change orders. Based on the contract payment schedule he has received the money in advance of what has done for work. He want to take all the insurance money in which the insurance company said that they are not paying any more. I don�t want to be liable for anything the insurance company decides not to pay. Help me.

Asked on 6/20/15, 5:31 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

henry lebensbaum Law Offices of Henry Lebensbaum (978-749-3606)

First you need to work with the insurance company to make sure that you are covered for the specific work that is being done.

Second, the terms of the agreement dictate what needs to be done and the payment schedule.

Third, is he a licensed contractor.

Fourth, it is indeed odd that he need more money when the work is only 1/5 done

Fifth, have the agreement reviewed by a lawyer.

Sixth, if he walks off, you can report him to the state agency which deals with licensed contractors, and also sue him.

Read more
Answered on 6/20/15, 11:48 am
Steven Striffler Steven R. Striffler Attorney At Law

You need to hire a construction law attorney. See my website.

Read more
Answered on 6/23/15, 7:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Massachusetts