Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Massachusetts

I had a judgment against me 12 years ago made payments paid it off with a lump sum 8 years ago. Now I am getting letters from an attorney for the bank saying it was never paid. The original attorney who I settled with died 5 years ago. Needless to say I don't have anything showing its paid because it was 8 years ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Asked on 8/22/16, 2:30 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

L. Jed Berliner Berliner Law Firm

Ask that the attorney verify the debt with the bank.. Meanwhile, have your old bank search and produce a copy of the cancelled check which paid off the debt.

What does your credit report show, if anything? Was that final payment a reduced settlement payment or a payment in full?

Read more
Answered on 8/22/16, 7:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Massachusetts