Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Massachusetts

Is it legal for me to open a credit card account in my husbands name with myself as an authorized user without his consent as we are married but do not live together?

Asked on 7/01/16, 6:18 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

No. Identity theft is frowned upon in Massachusetts. Unless you had a valid power-of-attorney authorizing this (but you are saying there is no consent), it would be the fast track to a criminal conviction for fraud and larceny each punishable by up to 2 1/2 years in the house of corrections, and each purchase made with the card would constitute a separate offense punishable by 2 1/2 years.

Read more
Answered on 7/01/16, 8:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Massachusetts