Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Massachusetts

I have a capias order for me for missing a court date for a creditor. What should I do before I am arrested? Please help

Asked on 5/21/16, 12:51 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Christopher Vaughn-Martel Charles River Law Partners, LLC

You really want to contact the company who obtained the capias or the court to arrange for some kind of payment. Best advice would be for you to reach out to a lawyer to see if the balance can be negotiated and or some sort of post-judgment payment plan can be negotiated. I welcome you to contact our office.

Read more
Answered on 5/23/16, 9:02 am
L. Jed Berliner Berliner Law Firm

Call the sheriff to arrange for a new hearing date. I find that negotiating with the company or lawyer is worse than what the judge will order as a monthly payment. If the underlying judgment is less than a year old, there are defenses to consider which might allow the judgment to be vacated.

Read more
Answered on 5/23/16, 10:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Massachusetts