Legal Question in Family Law in Massachusetts

My ex girlfriend just informed me that she is pregnant. Will I have to pay child support if she does not go through with an abortion? How can she prove that the child is mine? What are the legal ramifications involved?


Thank you

Asked on 12/10/11, 9:30 am

4 Answers from Attorneys

Alan Pransky Law Office of Alan J. Pransky

If you are the father, you must pay child support. Usually, paternity is proved by a DNA test.

Read more
Answered on 12/10/11, 10:30 am

If you are the father you will be required to pay child support. She will file a paternity complaint and the court will order a paternity test or DNA test and if you are a match, you will be deemed the father and have to pay child support.

Read more
Answered on 12/11/11, 3:08 pm
Christopher Vaughn-Martel Charles River Law Partners, LLC

As the others have corrected stated, if you are the father then you can be made to pay child support. Paternity - if you dispute it - can be proved by way of a paternity test.

Read more
Answered on 12/13/11, 5:37 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Massachusetts