Legal Question in Family Law in Massachusetts

I am planning on moving to another state with my son. I am the only parent named on his birthday certificate. His father is barely in his life. What legal rights can I take to move in peace?

Asked on 1/28/18, 1:30 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

I think you mean birth certificate. Is there a child support agreement or other document indicating the father is the father? if so, you can inform the father and if he objects go to court to get approval to move. If not, then the father has to establish his parental rights and will be obligated to pay child support. If you think the father is going to object then go see an attorney and file a Petition to allow you not only to move but to get child support and legal fees.

You can tell the father you are moving and ask him to agree, but if he disagrees then the legal process will begin. Go see a child custody attorney in your area.

Read more
Answered on 1/28/18, 2:06 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Massachusetts