Legal Question in International Law in Massachusetts

I want to getting a divorce in Massachesetts. Both myself and my partner are europeans but we have been residing the USA with VISAs. Can I get a divorce here?

Asked on 4/13/14, 12:16 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

If you qualify as residents of Massachusetts, e.g. lived here at least 6 months legally and you both will voluntarily submit to the Massachusetts jurisdiction you should be able to get a divorce here.

However, the attorney will need to check any international treaties as to the validity of the US divorce to make sure it will be recognized.

If you and your partner want to get divorced here, it should not be a major problem. It may be possible even if your partner does not want to do so, so long as you both live here together now and have been here 6 months.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to call me.

Read more
Answered on 4/13/14, 11:17 am

Related Questions & Answers

More International Law questions and answers in Massachusetts