Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Massachusetts

Im a landlord in Massachusetts of a legal apartment in my home. I missed to 30-day deadline to return the security deposit or list of repairs exceeding the deposit by a few days. In this case, it was the list of repairs. The former tenant has filed a formal complaint. What should I do? I assume wait until he files a case in small claims court?

He is not, at this time, disputing the list of needed repairs which exceed the security deposit. He is saying I missed the 30-day deadline, which I did.

Asked on 4/19/19, 9:50 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Christopher Vaughn-Martel Charles River Law Partners, LLC

See an attorney immediately. Next best thing is just give the security deposit back right away with interest. It will help you later if he pursues a lawsuit. If you have damages, sue him in small claims.

Christopher W. Vaughn-Martel, Esq.

Charles River Law Partners, LLC


Read more
Answered on 4/27/19, 11:23 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Massachusetts