Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Massachusetts

I have been renting from my landlady for the past 4 years. I pay my rent on time every month. Her son has been renting elsewhere and wants to move back home where he can freeload off of his mother. Last night my landlord called me to tell me her son wants my unit. I have 4 children and 3 are under the age of 6. She wants me to move so she can give her son the unit. I have no where to go and am not moving. The place has lead and numerous violations because all the money I paid in rent, she has never invested on penny in my unit. Furthermore, I have been making all necessary repairs because she refuses to spend one penny on my unit. What are my rights. I don't have a lease with her because it expired last year.

Asked on 6/06/15, 6:51 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Alan Fanger Alan S. Fanger, Esq.

You have significant rights to challenge the termination and your eviction. These fall into two categories:

1. The condition of your apartment. If you can show that the landlord was aware of conditions that affected health or safety and did nothing to repair them, you may keep possession of the apartment.

2. Even if the landlord were to win at any trial, you can ask the court for up to six months of continued possession, and with several young children that request will likely be well received.

Read more
Answered on 6/06/15, 8:29 am

First you have aright to seek reimbursement for rent and repairs due to the lead paint and the repairs you have made.

Second you are entitled to six months to find a new apartment since you have chidren six and under.

You might want to contact an attorney to help you whether you want to stay or not.

Read more
Answered on 6/06/15, 10:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Massachusetts