Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Massachusetts

Can I sue a past landlord for placing inaccurate information on my credit report when case was dismissed and there is no judgment on his behalf. Now I'm having an issue with getting a place to live.

Asked on 5/14/15, 5:32 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Christopher Vaughn-Martel Charles River Law Partners, LLC

Perhaps, if the landlord has not reported the judgment as having been satisfied to the Court. However, this may be a record-keeping error on the part of the Court and not your landlord. My guess is that the landlord did not actively report this item to the credit reporting bureaus and you will need to challenge the incorrect item on your credit report.

Schedule a consultation and bring your paperwork to figure out what you will need to do next.

Read more
Answered on 5/14/15, 5:36 am

You need to determine who filed the report. I would suggest you get a copy of the dismissal of the complaint and send it to the credit reporting agencies with a statement that the record is inaccurate. If the landlord filed the information, then you should send a demand letter under 93A and Fair Credit Collection Practices Act and demand the reports removal.

Good Luck.

Read more
Answered on 5/14/15, 12:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Massachusetts