Legal Question in Personal Injury in Massachusetts

My vehicle was overnight and involved in a collision where the other drive ran without leaving insurance info (hit and run).

Luckily, a 3rd party witnessed the accident and provided a license plate # of the other vehicle. This person is also wanting to be a witness.

I tried getting the local police department involved but they simply said to provide the license plate # to insurance, as no police report is required.

How do I go after the other driver so that I am not responsible for the deductible?

Shouldn't the police do some investigation for the hit and run and ticket other driver?

Asked on 10/24/10, 12:56 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Christopher Vaughn-Martel Charles River Law Partners, LLC

Whether the police should or shouldn't be going after a criminal is not for me to decide. Get whatever information that you have over to your insurance company. If they can track down the driver, they will. If not, you may be able to make a claim under your own policy's under/uninsured driver protection.

Read more
Answered on 10/29/10, 3:58 pm

You must have a very high deductible or your time is not too valuable. Ditto as to the latter for your third party witness. I suppose you could go to District Court and swear out a criminal complaint for leaving the scene of a property damage accident. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 11/01/10, 5:54 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Massachusetts