Legal Question in Personal Injury in Massachusetts

I won my home. ONLY my name is on the deed. Recently my husband, who is a lead foot and has had accidents in the past, join on my auto policy to combine bill and save some money. My concern is, what IF, he gets into and accident and it is his fault and the person he hit is "sue" happy can they come after MY home?? And if yes what is the damage I will suffer and is there any way I can LEGALLY put down on paper to stay away from ME and MY home?

Thank you

Denise C Burke

Asked on 9/14/10, 10:55 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Christopher Vaughn-Martel Charles River Law Partners, LLC


It is very unlikely that an injured party would be able to come after your home, unless the automobile involved in the accident was registered in your name. Similarly, your property may be at risk if your husband's name is on the deed to your property.

If you have any other follow up or specific questions, please feel free to contact my office to set up a consultation.

Read more
Answered on 9/20/10, 8:14 am

It is surprising you would not want to spend a little money for some piece of mind. I would suggest you buy an hour from a knowledgeable lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 9/21/10, 7:19 am
Joseph Murray Joseph M. Murray, Esq.

The first thing you could consider is placing a Homestead on your home, or and/or retaining an attorney to discuss other ways to isolate it such as transferring title into a trust. Good Luck!

Read more
Answered on 9/22/10, 9:42 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Massachusetts