Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Massachusetts

how does the process of probate court work with next of kin when a parent passes with out the will?

Asked on 3/15/20, 7:24 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Alan Fanger Alan S. Fanger, Esq.

When parent dies without a will, this is called an intestate estate. If he died with assets of greater than $25,000, a petition to probate the intestate estate has to be filed with the probate court. This is best done with an attorney, as the paperwork and procedures can be difficult to figure out. The law provides that if there's no surviving spouse, the estate is distributed equally among the children.

Read more
Answered on 3/15/20, 10:05 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Massachusetts