Legal Question in Business Law in Michigan

I am an American citizen living in Japan. I want to start an internet-based affiliate marketing business that reaches customers in the US. I plan to start as a sole proprietor. Is there a way that I can register my DBA in the US by mail or internet? My preferred state is Michigan, since I am from Michigan originally, and might return there to live some day. Any information you can give me would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Asked on 10/18/15, 10:10 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas R. Morris Silverman & Morris, P.L.L.C.

In Michigan, an assumed name for an individual/sole proprietor is registered with the county in which the business is located. MCL 445.1. It is not clear to me that this is necessary if you are in Japan and conducting business over the internet. The statute says that it's not necessary in order to conduct business by mail. If you think that registering the assumed name might assist you in promoting the business, then you might explore the possibility, but the registration will require that you specify an address in the county where you register.

Read more
Answered on 10/19/15, 6:27 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Michigan