Legal Question in Business Law in Michigan

Recently it was discovered that a local business forged my wife and I's name to some documents. One was for a credit application and the other for the completion of work. These were easily shown NOT to be our signatures. When the owner was asked, he said that the person was fired and that we weren't the only people that this happened to. His statement was the person was lazy and didn't want to send out the paperwork for proper signature so she just forged the documents herself. He also said that he was sorry, but we agreed to the work so we have to pay for it. I asked him how do we know that the work was truly completed and that the amount we are being charged is correct? He just kept saying he was sorry and that we are responsible. We don't dispute that we had work done, but how do we know what we are paying for, how much it is worth and if the job is actually complete? Also that they knew and didn't let their customers know about it, so how do we know what else our signatures are on? I am military and have a "clearance", is there any legal recourse that we can take against this company?

Asked on 10/13/17, 6:50 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Patrick Tracy Patrick J. Tracy, Esq, P.E.,

He is trying to avoid a situation where he may not legally be allowed to recover for the work that was done. You may be able through an attorney to write a letter to the store and have him justify the scope of work as well as the amount originally agreed to at the time of sale. If he does bill you you could challenge the amount in small claims court where an attorney would not be necessary depending on the amount of the bill. Fraud was committed when they forged your name on the documents. You could talk to the local police jurisdiction to initiate a charge against the company as well as the employee. I really don't have all of the facts in the case and therefore I cannot further advise you.

Read more
Answered on 10/13/17, 7:01 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Michigan