Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Michigan

I have a civil judgement against me. The original debt was 4,532.92 with pre-suit interest of 2,867.73. The company is now saying that I owe them 11,132.71. The original debt has left my credit report. I feel that this company is overcharging me for a debt. Should I try to contact a lawyer to fight them?

Asked on 8/13/15, 6:25 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrew Campbell Andrew L Attorney at Law

When was judgment entered? What kind of debt was it and what was the interest rate? Sometimes you could be charged 13% interest on some types of judgments so depending upon when it was entered and the type of debt, they might be correct. If the original debt is not on your report that means seven years has expired but that doesn't really mean you have a defense on that basis. You need to look at the original complaint (lawsuit) and any exhibits as well as the judgment or motion to renew judgment to find out what interest was charged. Judgments are good for ten years and can be renewed at least once, perhaps more.

Read more
Answered on 8/13/15, 8:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Michigan