Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Michigan

Summons wrongfully served to my father

I went to a university in Boston, but dropped out end of junior year. The school is now suing me for my final year, which i did not even attend. I asked for proof I owe this $30000.00 debt, and they sent me (via their lawyers) a breakdown of tuition costs for a year. Nothing signed by me or any reason for why I should pay it when I dropped out. They say I didn't follow proper procedure for dropping out, but won't explain what that means. They stopped calling for a while, then out of the blue my father gets a call at 518pm stating to call immediately or a decision will be made without him. Since the call originated from boston, my father assumed it was for me and called immediately. I returned the call to the lawyer at 523pm three times, but no answer. The next day a message is left on my phone by a different person returning my call, stating she had no idea who was trying to be reached or what the call possibly could have been about (I left the message on the voicemail of the person who originally called me). Two days ago my father was mistakenly served with a summons for my debt. I feel my rights are being violated with the way this is being handled, and I don't know what to do!!! Help please!

Asked on 2/09/06, 11:33 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Rochelle Guznack Law Offices of Rochelle E. Guznack, PLLC

Re: Summons wrongfully served to my father

Your rights may or may not have been violated. The history of the phone calls as you explained them is pretty meaningless and would not violate your rights. You need to hire an attorney who can figure it out for you. That's a huge debt. You should be prepared to spend a couple thousand dollars to get this straightend out by an attorney, who can do it the right way. If you do not answer the complaint, you will be defaulted and a judgment will be entered against you.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 2/09/06, 5:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Michigan