Legal Question in Discrimination Law in Michigan

being harassed by neighbor

I am being harassed by a neighbor.He is constantly calling the police for loudness(police never found any problems)and if I am bloking the sidewalk with my vechile.Just the other day he called an inspector to inspect my house,he said it was not up to code whitch it is,he has never entered my home.his complaints were that I am not licenced(whitch I am),that I am not licenced to have roommates(whitch I am),I wasnt licenced to extend my driveway whitch I never did,and not licenced to have a hottub whitch I am.What can I do?Thanks

Asked on 3/12/03, 2:30 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

William Morrison Action Defense Center

Re: being harassed by neighbor

This is similar to a case I had where my client received the same treatment from his neighbor because the client thought he had a right to entertain the whole neighborhood with his megawatt stereo system.

You say "the police never found any problem" which indicates to me that the problem exists - you just haven't been caught yet.

You can continue to do battle with your neighbor or you can find some way to turn the noise down.

If my client had done that, he would have saved himself considerable trouble and cost.

Courtesy is becoming a rare item on this planet but its an excellent way to avoid lawsuits and legal fees.

Read more
Answered on 3/12/03, 5:00 pm

William Stern William Stern, P.C.

Re: being harassed by neighbor

There is a remedy and it is a lawsuit against the neighbor for intentional infliction of emotional distress. These are difficult cases but the thought of the inconvenience and expense of having to hire a lawyer should stop him. You can get an injunction against his misuse of the system. If he is found to have violated the injunction, he will be in contempt of court and have to pay a fine or sit in jail. However, you will have to pay the lawyer to drag him to court. You have to decide if it is worth it. The cost would probably be a minimum of $1,000. Under present law in Michigan, he would not be responsible for your attorney fees, at least initially. Bill Stern 248-353-9400

Read more
Answered on 3/12/03, 7:49 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Other Discrimination Law (Age, Race, Sex, Gender) questions and answers in Michigan