Legal Question in Veterans Law in Michigan

Durable Power of Attorney

I hold DPOA on my Father. His Nursing Home bill was not paid in full as would not provide detail summary of care and disputed amount due and owing. Father was moved to another home due to abuse he received at this facility. They are now suing me for his past bills at this nursing home. Am I liable for my Fathers debts?

Asked on 7/10/08, 10:17 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Patrick Tracy Patrick J. Tracy, Esq, P.E.,

Re: Durable Power of Attorney

The answer to this question lies in the agreement that you signed when he was admitted to the nursing home. In general you are not personally liable, however as a matter of collection, you would most probably be named in your capacity with power of attorney.

It is not a simple cut and dried situation that I can advise you without review of the facts and circumstances of the case. If you are concerned, then I advise you to seek representation of an attorney in your locale.

Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 7/10/08, 10:24 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Veterans Law questions and answers in Michigan