Legal Question in Criminal Law in Minnesota

In 1982 I was convicted of felony theft in the state of Minnesota. I completed my prison term without any minor or major reports, and was considered a "model inmate" during my stay. I completed the parole time without any incident and have been completely crime free since then. I am in my late 50's now and I do not even have a parking ticket on my record. I have applied for and received an expungement, however, the MN BCA and the company that was the victim did not agree to the expungement so the actual expungement is only a partial expungement. The DA of the county of conviction agreed and the court I was sentenced in agreed to the expungement so the Judge granted it. My question is this, is there a way to get the complete expungment done and how do I do that? Also, another part to this is that I am trying to find out where the letters of Restoration of Civil Rights come from as I would like to obtain a copy of the letter I received back in 1983. Thank you in advance for your answers.

Asked on 2/28/17, 6:07 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nathan Hansen Nathan M. Hansen, Attorney at Law

The only way to get this record completely sealed is through a pardon extraordinary from the pardon board. It generally meets twice a year and it consists of the Governor, the Attorney General and the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

Your letter of restoration of civil rights likely resides on microfiche at the Minnesota Department of Corrections - Central Office. You can call there and ask for records and see if they can find it for you.

Nathan Hansen


Read more
Answered on 2/28/17, 7:36 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Minnesota