Legal Question in DUI Law in Minnesota

I received an OWVI in MI and haven't been sentenced yet but my home state of MN is revolking my license on short notice. I can't get to work or back to MI for court now. What can I do?

Asked on 3/06/17, 5:04 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

The underlying charge occurred in MI, so I urge you to seek legal advice from a qualified & well exp'd MI licensed attorney.

Statistically the odds are very high with one 'under the influence'/'impaired' sort of criminal charge that the person involved is an active alcoholic or otherwise has 'using' issues of various sorts (alcohol, MJ-pot, 'pills'..............). As appropriate, I URGE you to get to 12 Step and get all help possible, from every good source, and switch to being in with the growing group of people who are deliberately NOT using - no bars, no rests' that serve alc', no beer/tv, no holidays not if alc' may be a part. MainStreeters is a Twin Cities OPEN AA group - 'open' means ALL are welcome - which meets in 3 sites every day of the yr. at noon. IMO nearly this whole world would benefit by people going through those 12 Steps with a sponsor who has recovery of many years and who impresses you, 'the newbie', as being kind and of a loving heart. Ask for phone lists and ask to meet 1 to 1 with potential sponsors. Get to many, many different meetings and approach those with long time recovery 1 by 1.

I note that recently released scientific research shows OVER one third of practicing USA attorneys are either active alcoholics or otherwise abuse alcohol ---------- that's only alcohol ('pills' are said to be the No. One 'using' issue in USA right now - then alc', MJ-pot...... on and on).

Nothing to be ashamed about if you are, say, alcoholic - a large segment of the general population has genetic makeup giving them the propensity to become an active addict. Pay attention to the 'people, places and things' you choose to be a part of your life.

'Users' do not understand what life is like for the 'non users', and even the most rotten day in the life of a deliberate 'non user' is far better than any blip of a second of positive feeling gotten while 'using'. I urge all with the problem to get help and know that they can leave a lifestyle of being one of the living dead.

Read more
Answered on 3/07/17, 5:04 am
Rory Durkin Giancola-Durkin Criminal Defense

You should receive a notice of revocation. You may have options like putting an ignition interlock in your vehicle. Depending on your record you may be able to drive unrestricted with an IID in your vehicle. Read your notice carefully as you may have other options as well. If you need to have it reviewed you can call and discuss or make an appointment to review the paperwork.

Read more
Answered on 3/07/17, 6:15 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Minnesota