Legal Question in Family Law in Minnesota

13 yrs ago a child was born. 2 men in question to be the father. 1 being my now husband. He was denied a paternity test by the mother and told by the other man that he did a test n was the father n he signed the birth certificate. We moved on with our lives and are now findung out they lied n had a real test done when the child was 9 n that man then got his name off the birth certificate. The child is now 13 and the mother is finally having my husband do the test. When he is the confirmed father what are our chances of a judge letting him sign away his rights? We just feel like after all this time it is so unfair n would like to just wait til the child is an adult to meet him. . .

Asked on 2/15/18, 10:47 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Kane Law Offices of Robert D. Kane, Jr.

If your husband is found to be responsible for the child, it is unlikely your husband can just sign away his parental rights, unless someone else will take on his financial responsibilities. He wouldn't necessarily have to have parenting time, but he won't be able to just walk away from his financial obligations. There are hundreds of thousands of men across this country who would love to do this very thing; and hundreds of thousands children would suffer.

Robert D. Kane, Jr. Esq.

Licensed in CALIFORNIA (based in City of Orange, Orange County;) and

MINNESOTA (based in Eagan, Dakota County.)

State and Federal Courts

Read more
Answered on 2/27/18, 3:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Minnesota