Legal Question in Family Law in Minnesota

I willingly signed the rights over to her family in 2009. I was not in the right place and was involved in drugs and i knew at the time it was best for him. The childs mother and i had a very toxic relationship and I chose to leave to better my self and get away from the chaos. Here I am now 9 years later I'm sober, mentally stable and care for my two younger children who are 6&8. At the time they said I would be allowed visitation. I have made several attempts and nothing. I haven't seen him in nine years. Is there a way I can bring it to court or even get custody back. The family he is with is OK they have said very bad things about me some were true and some weren't. He is now 12 and doesn't even know that I've been trying to be involved. Please help!

Asked on 1/08/18, 7:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Kane Law Offices of Robert D. Kane, Jr.

It depends, if she was adopted there is very little (probably nothing) you can do without their consent. Who said "[you] would be allowed visitation?" If it is a court order you may have hope; if her family said it, it means nothing. If she was not adopted, you may want to see if the custody order can be modified.

Without an attorney you probably don't have a hope. Call a few!

Read more
Answered on 1/13/18, 10:05 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Minnesota