Legal Question in Family Law in Minnesota

My girlfriend and I have been together in a rocky relationship for 6 years. We have 2 beautiful daughters. She recently said she wants the relationship to be over, I was wondering what rights I have with my children. I bought a house 1.5 years ago, (in my name only). She has asked me to move out of the house in my name and put her on the title because she provided some downpayment on the house. I am not ready to move on without her without at least trying professional counseling to try to slowly reestablish our relationship. She has threatened to leave with the kids to Irma Wisconsin (where her parents live, 150 miles away) if i don't move out and make this easy. Can she move my girls away? When I have the house and a stable job? She wouldn't have a job and would have to live with her parents out there with the girls until they splurge and buy her a house. What rights do I have?

Asked on 10/15/14, 10:58 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

I urge you to meet privately with an experienced family law attorney at this time so she may advise you of your rights and options once fuller detail is known. Minnesota statute does address the matter of out state moves of the residence of minor children in great detail. Furthermore, federal law that has been adopted by nearly all of the states may be a potential factor. Tricia Dwyer Esq. ph 612-296-9666 Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Read more
Answered on 10/15/14, 11:33 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Minnesota