Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Minnesota

Minnesota Civil shoplifing or theft - Minor

Our son shoplifted at Walmart 6/10- just received a settlement offer from Bennett Law (collection agency?) from Utah - stating that we need to pay them $50.00 to settle all potential civil claims with Walmart. It indicates that this is above the criminal charges. It indicates that the parents have to pay the fine of the minor.

Is this a legit request and demand for payment? Is this legal in Minnesota?


Asked on 2/11/11, 3:49 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas Atkinson Thomas Atkinson

Yes. If you son is pleading guilty you may be taken to court to pay. If he is pleading innocent you can contest this claim. It is a CIVIL penalty in addition to the criminal charge. I suggest your son participate in a "diversion" program if offered by your county for first time offenders (assuming he qualifies).

Read more
Answered on 2/15/11, 9:57 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Minnesota