Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Minnesota

I'm going on a road trip and if anything should happen to me I would like my house to go to my daughter. How do I do that without her incurring any debt/taxes or financial problems. Before I leave I'm paying off my house so all but a 15,000 dollar lien for work done by the city and 4000 dollars in an equity account will be paid off. She can easily handle those charges.

Asked on 5/12/15, 2:21 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Hellmuth Hellmuth & Johnson, PLLC

One way to accomplish your goal would be to transfer the property from you to both you and your daughter, as joint tenants with rights of survivorship. If you were to die, she would just need to file a death certificate and affidavit of survivorship to become the owner.

If you need assistance with the transfer, we would charge a flat fee of $300.00, plus the filing fee to complete the transfer. You would need to sign and have notarized a warranty deed to the property. David Hellmuth. [email protected].

Read more
Answered on 5/12/15, 3:06 pm
Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Attorneys here are not to solicit clients. Most likely such a transfer may be accomplished at this time without incurring problems such as you named but there are definite limits and exceptions to the general principles. I suggest you contact an experienced and reputable attorney to assist you at this time.

Tricia Dwyer Esq

Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

ph 612-296-9666

M-F, Sa,Su 'til noon

Read more
Answered on 5/13/15, 4:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Minnesota