Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Minnesota

My brother passed away in Minnesota. His next of kin is his son, and his minor grandchildren. The son has been estranged from him for several years, and has been in trouble with the law for stealing, drugs and assault. The hospital was unable to locate him. We are his sisters. What happens now to such things as social security, his pension and any outstanding bills? We have no way of knowing if there is a will, or how we can find out if there is one, as we are not his next of kin, or about insurance. We are paying his funeral expenses. He does not have a lot of assets, but what happens to them? Does the state handle things from here?

Asked on 3/05/14, 11:44 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

I am very sorry for your loss of your sibling. Full details would need to be known in order to provide you with appropriate legal counsel. Your motives and intentions are not clear from the post. I suggest you may want to confer privately with an attorney at this time. It would be helpful to the attorney if you prepare a statement describing your brother's finances in detail, as best you can. Tricia Dwyer Esq at 612-296-9666, Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC, Minnesota Probate - Wills - Estate Planning Attorney, Minnesota Family Law Attorney,

Read more
Answered on 3/05/14, 1:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Minnesota