Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Mississippi


My childrens grandmother just passed away. She had 4 surviving children and my childrens father who passed away 2 years ago. He and I were divorced. Aren't my children entitled to his part of his mothers inheritance? According to them she did not leave a will.

Asked on 5/04/09, 12:38 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Albert Pettigrew Law Offices Ph 228-875-8736

Re: Inheritance

The short answer is yes. Miss Code 91-1-1 states:

When any person shall die seized of any estate of inheritance in lands, tenements, and hereditaments not devised, the same shall descend to his or her children, and their descendants, in equal parts, the descendants of the deceased child or grandchild to take the share of the deceased parent in equal parts among them.... Miss. Code 91-1-11 states that other property is given the same treatment.

Read more
Answered on 5/06/09, 12:06 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Mississippi