Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Missouri

My father had a very basic will when he passed. One piece of property was in his name with myself and my sister listed as joint tenants with right to survivorship. I plan on keeping this home and living there. My sister wants to quick deed her share to me. My question is.; Is there any means for me to set this property title up in my name to avoid probate if I ever decide to sell? My name has been on the title for more than 20 years and is probably only valued at 80K to 100K. Thx

Asked on 6/23/16, 7:39 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

It never ceases to amaze me how people use the term "quick claim deed". There is no such thing! The term is "quit claim deed"! You and your sister own the property, no probate. She can "quit claim" her interest to you. There may be tax consequences. So you both need tax advise, and you should hire an attorney to make sure that every thing is done right. I could handle it myself for a modest fee. Call me for a free telephone consultation.

Read more
Answered on 6/23/16, 3:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Missouri