Legal Question in Construction Law in Nebraska

Contractor Licensing

I hired a contractor to lay carpet in my home. He proceeded to lay the wrong carpet. It is the wrong color and the wrong quality. It is the cheapest carpet you can find. I asked him to install the correct carpet and he said that he would lose a couple hundred dollars by doing this so he wouldn't do it. He said if I do not pay him the rest of the money I owe him he'll put a lien on my home.

Do I have any recourse against this person? I checked the licensing board and they are not listed in the state of nebraska.


Asked on 10/18/07, 1:28 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Duke Drouillard Drouillard Law, LLC

Re: Contractor Licensing

You can sue him in small claims court if the total amount is less than $2800 or hire an attorney to file suit against him in District Court. Can you prove which carpet you selected? Can you prove the carpet he installed is not the carpet you selected? Did you have a written contract with contractor? What does the contract say amount selection and identification of materials? He may be exempt from contractor registration if he is self-employed with no employees or does not work in metro areas with a population in excess of 100,000. I would recommend you contact an attorney rather than try to handle this on your own.

Read more
Answered on 10/18/07, 1:48 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Construction Law questions and answers in Nebraska