Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Nebraska

My parents bought some land with a mobile home on it I n 1992. In 1999 they filed bankruptcy. They have continued to live in the mobile home all these years with no contact from the back to take back the property. They did not continue to pay on it. I looked it up and there is a mortgage deed of trust dated 1999. They have continued to pay all property taxes. My mom has since passed on and my dad is on hospice so the end of his life is coming near. Is there anything I can do with this property or will the bank decide to want it after 15 years? This property is worth 20,000. at most and when I looked they owed over 30,000 on it. They have no other assets and a ton of medical bills.

Asked on 4/23/14, 9:49 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Matt Jenkins DeMars, Gordon, Olson, Zalewski and Wynner

This is a complicated issue but your father could make the claim that they have obtained title to the land through adverse possession. You will want to consult with a real estate attorney about how to proceed.

Read more
Answered on 4/23/14, 9:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Nebraska