Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Nebraska

Order of Release

Dear Sir,

My daughter was court ordered to be the beneficiary on her father's life insurance policy. Before he passed away, he changed the beneficiary to his current wife's name. The insurance company turned the money over to the court system to be paid out. My daughter was awarded the money. The money has been in District court since Sept. 2002. County court (Probate) told me I had to set up a savings account that has a restriction where the money can only be withdrawn with a court order. I set up a restricted savings account. Now every three months, I get ordered to go to County Court to show where the money is at. After several months of research, I just found out that the money is sitting in District Court. They are telling me I have to get an attorney to get

the judge to sign an order to release the money from District Court to County Court. I did have an attorney, but after 1 year 6 months of doing nothing and costing me over $4,000.00, I dropped her. I would like to know what I can do to get the judge to release this money over to County Court. Is there a release order form, or can I make up a letter to have the judge sign it?

Asked on 1/17/03, 2:10 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Talana Sayre Talana Sayre, Attorney at Law

Re: Order of Release

Unfortunately, this isn't a simple do it yourself matter. You will need an attorney to request a release of the funds and to explain to the judge why he should release the funds. You might want to call the attorney who handled this before because she is familiar with your case, but tell her you are only willing to pay $500 (or whatever figure you want) to get this accomplished. This should be resolved fairly quickly and easily--Good Luck!

Talana Sayre


Read more
Answered on 1/17/03, 7:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Nebraska