Legal Question in Construction Law in New Jersey

We have a house in NJ where the electric feed was damaged by a contractor building houses across the street. They have so far refused to pay for the cost to restore power. Other than suing them, do we have other options to encourage them to pay. I was considering filing a construction lien, but as I understand, we don't have standing for that mechanism. Are there similar options that would effectively block the sale of the properties they are building until our claim is settled?

Asked on 3/16/16, 8:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Corbett Corbett Law Firm LLC

The utility company is responsible for providing power up to your meter. Unless there is something unusual in your community, it is the utility company that should have restored power to your house and then charged the contractor if it wanted to do that.

See also:

Read more
Answered on 3/17/16, 6:32 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Construction Law questions and answers in New Jersey