Legal Question in Criminal Law in New Jersey

personal invasion

I live in a very respectable area of NJ. i just graduated college and I work full time as I get ready to go into my doctrine program. I never bother anyone, I have no enemies. The other night a neighbor of mine that I have never met or spoke with came to my apartment and tried to break in while he threatened me numerous times to kill me. I was home alone (my fiancee was at work) and he was aware that I was by myself. I called 911 and the police came and arrested him. He was sent to a psych ward for evaluation and was proven to completely sane but on drugs. He was then released and he is now living right across from me once again. He was given no bail and was sent home after one night. The police told me that I was a very good looking girl and I should expect these thing to happen. They also told me that they could not prove that he was stalking me but they are sure he has been. They said that at the time of his arrest that he claimed to have chopped the head off of a 3 year old child and raped a girl the night before her wedding. I am scared right now to even leave my house and have no idea as to my rights. They police said that judge is only charging him with harrassment and he will probablybl cleared.

Asked on 2/21/07, 10:09 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jef Henninger, Esq Law Offices of Jef Henninger, Esq.

Re: personal invasion

You don't have many options. You could hire your own attorney to prosecute the case for you if it gets sent down to municipal court. Otherwise, you are at the mercy of the system. You could give a call over to the Prosecutor's victim witness advocate but I'm not sure how far you'd get with that given what the police told you.

Read more
Answered on 2/21/07, 11:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in New Jersey