Legal Question in Family Law in New Jersey

I have a child support order with high arrears for an order that I was not present in court for. Nor was I properly served. Papers were served to my mother's address to my brother who was foolish enough to sign for them. I do not speak to many relatives on a regular basis and had not lived at that address for over 7 years. Judge ordered me to pay 343 a week when I was only making 560 per week (for 2 children). I tried to have the arrears modified at a hearing but was unsuccessful. Many states have debt compromise programs now that can negotiate a settlement of child support arrears. Some like California are fully implemented statewide while other states (like NJ) operate this program on a case by case basis. How do I initiate negotiations and/or apply for consideration without being dismissed by the Bradley Bill. Nj says it is implementing this option but I don't know where to start as the regular Family Court judges are not very cooperative. Who do I contact?

Asked on 2/04/14, 12:09 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys


A lawyer who does not take no for an answer.

A petition for modification should be filed on the grounds of improper service and the illogic and harshness of the calculation. I practice in NJ and PA

Call me at 215-370-2608 is my site

I will be happy to try to help you.

Read more
Answered on 2/04/14, 1:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Jersey