Legal Question in Family Law in New Jersey

I am seeking legal counsel in the sale of my 50% ownership of a home I purchased together with my now ex-fiancee, in NJ. I ended the 4 year relationship I had with him in January of this year when I moved out of the home due to irreconcilable differences. The mortgage is in my name alone and the deed is in both of our names. He is in the process of trying to get a mortgage on his own. He has sent me one check for the mortgage payment and has taken over the utilities. He has had 5 weeks so far. I initially imposed a 60 day time period to allow him to get a mortgage. He was not agreeable to this. I had initially tried to have the attorney who represented us in the purchase of the property represent me in the sale of my interest in the home but the attorney stated that my ex would need to provide consent before he could represent me. It has been almost two weeks since my ex was notified by email and a letter. He has not responded, so at this point I need to seek alternate legal counsel. I have been advised to seek out a family lawyer because of the nature of my situation. I am looking for advice on what I should be asking an attorney to do in this matter. It was a very bad relationship and his attitude and behaviors have continued to be threatening towards me. I just want my life back.

Asked on 2/19/14, 5:21 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Gleaner Robert A. Gleaner, P.C.

You would need to file a "Partition Action" to attempt to resolve this issue entirely. As a matter of fact, I am involved in one right now and have done several. Feel free to call me at 856-546-8010 to discuss further. You really should have an attorney involved as soon as possible in order to protect your interests. Rob Gleaner

Read more
Answered on 2/19/14, 6:21 am
Rhonda Greenblatt Law Office of Rhonda Greenblatt

I have had similar situations with my clients. The prior response is correct. You should get an attorney as soon as possible. I would be pleased to meet with you to get more information from you and discuss possible solutions. You can call my office at 609-927-9227. Let my assistant know I answered your question on law guru and I will fit you in as soon as possible. Thank you.

Read more
Answered on 2/19/14, 6:33 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Jersey