Legal Question in Family Law in New Jersey

My son and daughter in law were arrested and even though we were babysitting their baby dyfs and the police came and took the baby from our home. We have been taking care of her since birth every day im off I take her cause I was suspicious that she wasn't being cared for so now that they've taken her what are our rights as grandparents in getting her back I dont want her to go to foster care that I know of were the only family the baby has here the mothers family is in Indiana and this girl has lost two other kids already please help tell me what we have to do to get her back this has broken our hearts . I'm from ocean county NJ im 43 and have raised three sons who are grown I work and I have asked my boss for less says so that I can be there for my grandchild I'm not rich or anything but i want my grandbaby back please help me

Asked on 7/19/14, 7:52 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Gleaner Robert A. Gleaner, P.C.

When DYFS becomes involved in these matters, they generally look for a suitable family member to care for the child. You seem like that ideal person. You need to get in touch with DYFS and tell them that you want to be appointed as the guardian for the child. They should cooperate with you in that regard because they prefer family members to strangers.

Keep in mind that this advice is based purely on the little bit of information that you have given to me. There certainly may be other factors that would change my opinion. Further, no one can rely on advice from an attorney who has not been retained. You will only be able to rely on advice from an attorney who you have actually retained. Good luck! Rob Gleaner

Read more
Answered on 7/20/14, 5:37 am
Jef Henninger, Esq Law Offices of Jef Henninger, Esq.

Call me at 732/773.2768 to discuss or visit

Read more
Answered on 7/21/14, 12:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Jersey