Legal Question in Family Law in New Jersey

My wife and I are residents of NJ. A few days ago I got a complaint for divorce from my wifeís lawyers. The reason for the divorce was irreconcilable differences. We donít have any kids, or property. Itís stipulated in the complaint. It says that she demands judgment to dissolve the marriage and nothing else. I agree to dissolve the marriage, and accept the divorce, but if I do not answer the complaint, and it will go to default, is there a chance that I will be asked to pay for her lawyer and any other expenses?

Asked on 8/22/13, 8:17 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jef Henninger, Esq Law Offices of Jef Henninger, Esq.

This should cost you next to nothing to hire your own lawyer, so why not do that and listen to his/her advice? 732/773/2768

Read more
Answered on 8/23/13, 6:43 am

Robert Gleaner Robert A. Gleaner, P.C.

You should call her lawyer and discuss with him/her your concerns. It is likely that he/she will be drafting documents that will be simple and will meet your concerns. After you review those documents, if you still have concerns, you can contact a lawyer at that point. All of this should be done quickly, however.

Keep in mind that this advice is based purely on the little bit of information that you have given to me. There certainly may be other factors that would change my opinion. Further, no one can rely on advice from an attorney who has not been retained. You will only be able to rely on advice from an attorney who you have actually retained. Good luck! Rob Gleaner

Read more
Answered on 8/23/13, 9:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Jersey