Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in New Jersey

I live in NJ.i am renting a house furnace broke in April was told will have one by October. we have sent him letters and texts. I've gotten we got waiting to get a guy to put it in heard this since September. it's now November still waiting. he provided heaters but sitting in a cold bathroom isn't great and to go from warm room to cold area isn't great my disabled bodu.running heaters in my opinion isn't safe cord gets hot, electric bill to heat rooms is Killing my wallet. He has been good to me but I'm at loss and don't know how to go about with holding the rent or cutting the rent just to up with my electric bill.being disabled the cold hurts my joints Even worse now. What should I do first before getting law involved

Asked on 11/16/18, 12:05 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Matthew Schutz Matthew R. Schutz, Esq.

Read your lease. Find out how notice to the LL is sent, typically either by hand or certified and first class mail, and give him formal notice and a reasonable time to repair. If he fails to repair you can withhold rent or make the repairs your self from the rent. Make sure you escrow the rent withheld.

I would also call the municipality and complain about the heat. It’s life threatening as we go into the winter season.

Read more
Answered on 11/18/18, 2:48 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in New Jersey