Legal Question in Personal Injury in New Jersey

I was in a car accident a couple of hours ago. There was damage to the front corner bumper of the car. We called the police and filed a police report and the police said i was not liable. I do not have insurance under my name for the car i was driving, so what happens next? The insurance for the car is under my parents name.

Asked on 5/16/11, 10:40 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Daniel Cevallos Cevallos & Wong, LLP

You should seek medical treatment right away if you are at all in any pain. Your parents should have coverage for the body damage, but you need to make sure you have seen a doctor.

Read more
Answered on 5/16/11, 11:27 am
Lawrence Berezin Shapiro & Berezin, P.C.

Sorry about the collision.

I agree with Mr. Cevallos about seeking treatment immediately for any pain.

You may wish to check with your parents about whether they have collision coverage on their car. If so, they have a choice of making a property damage claim through their own insurance company; and recovering their deductible when their insurance company secures a recovery from the other vehicle's insurance company.

Or, making a claim directly against the other vehicle's insurance company. If liability is clear and absolute, it may pay to pursue the property damage claim against the other vehicle directly.

If you are injured, make an appointment to see an attorney as soon as possible to learn your rights in detail.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 5/16/11, 5:55 pm
Amy Klauber Klauber & Klauber, LLP

If you had their permission to drive the car, it does not matter whose name the insurance was under, you are still covered.

Read more
Answered on 5/18/11, 9:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in New Jersey