Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New Jersey

Owner sold property when I have a contract

I have a long-term contract for my property. The man I am buying the house from sold it to his girlfriend. The contract we have is between me and him,not his girlfriend.Is this contract now voided? And can he legally do this without telling me, I found out on my own, He never told me anything!I called him and asked him whats going on, he said don't worry about it just keep sending me the payments. I though that was wrong so I started sending her the payments, but I don't feel that's right either because I don't have any contract with her. Please tell what should I do? Thank-you very much! Terry

Asked on 11/04/06, 3:15 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Davies The Davies Law Firm, P.A.

Re: Owner sold property when I have a contract

The other lawyer is right. You need to go see a lawyer RIGHT NOW. TODAY. NOT TOMORROW.

You may end up losing every dime you have paid. Please go see a lawyer now.

I am in northern NJ. I think I am too far away to help you. If I am not, I would be happy to assist.

If you would like, give me a call; I am in northern New Jersey. I will be happy to discuss this with you; the telephone consultation will be free.

My contact information can be obtained from the links below, just click on the Attorney Profile link. Let my secretary know you found me through LawGuru.

Disclaimer: Your question and any response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship between you and this law firm. You can not rely on the statements made by an attorney given over the internet. The exact facts of your situation, including facts which you have not mentioned in your question, may completely change the result for your situation.

Read more
Answered on 11/06/06, 10:40 am
John Corbett Corbett Law Firm LLC

Re: Owner sold property when I have a contract

You should have a lawyer look into this transaction right now. It is far from normal practice for someone to buy property by making payments to a prospective seller over a long period of time. I am not sure what is going on here but, whatever it is, it is not good for you. You may have been cheated. You may have the right to sue to have the property re-conveyed to you or to your seller. Even if the transaction is legitimate (however unwise), if the appropriate notices have not been recorded with the County, you are in danger of losing any rights to the land that you might have for every day that the situation persists.

Get a lawyer to help you now.

If I can be of further help, call or email.

See also:

Read more
Answered on 11/04/06, 6:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New Jersey