Legal Question in Family Law in New Mexico

Can a 15 year old in the state of New Mexico choose to not live at home?

Asked on 1/13/17, 9:21 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

George Chandler Chandler Law of Los Alamos

The short answer is no. A minor can seek emancipation if 16 or over. In most custody or similar proceedings a minor over 14 can express a preference and the judge must consider it but is not bound by it.

Read more
Answered on 1/13/17, 10:48 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Mexico