Legal Question in Family Law in New Mexico

An married American citizen, who's husband is abusive and doesn't want a divorce, files for divorce in Peru while on a trip there. Will that divorce be recognized in the U.S.?

Asked on 1/30/17, 11:28 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Watson John Watson, Attorney at Law

The short answer is yes: (qualified by) so long as the divorce complies with the laws of the country in which the divorce was granted. There can be "factors" that come into play but by and large the answer is yet.

Law Guru

Read more
Answered on 2/09/17, 6:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Mexico