Legal Question in Business Law in New York

I live in Brooklyn, New York and run a small business. My ex-accountant lives in NJ. Several years ago he literally abandoned me, stopped responding to calls and emails. I later found out he failed to file tax reports for several years for my company, while telling me that all's well and he is on top of things. I'm now paying back taxes and fines to the IRS. Some stuff is still pending and needs to be filed. I failed to control him, but he was with us for many years and betrayal like that was the last thing on my mind. I'm thinking to taking him to court for all the damage he created, for the pain and anguish he caused. What are my chances here?

Asked on 8/28/17, 7:03 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Locksley Wade Law Office of Locksley O. Wade

You may have a cause of action for accountant malpractice. As in all causes of action, there is statue of limitations; meaning, you have three years to bring your claim. As to when the clock started running, you will need to contact an attorney that specializes in this type of lawsuit. Your claim would be based on your actual losses. Pain, suffering and other emotional damages are not available for theses types of claim. Lastly, jurisdiction can be found in New York because that is where the harm occurred.

Read more
Answered on 8/29/17, 3:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in New York