Legal Question in Criminal Law in New York

I was charged with pl-245.00 in Manhattan New York, and was given a DAT with a court date of January 2012. I am 48 years old, male, and have a 100% clean prior record before this. Do I honestly need an Attorney ?...or should I just see what they offer ?... Thanks in advance for any responses

Asked on 12/01/11, 11:14 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

You are charged with Public lewdness, a Class B misdemeanor. Because you are charged with a crime, I doubt a judge will allow you to represent yourself. In addition, without a lawyer, how will you know if the DA makes you a fair offer? I've seen DAs try to get higher penalties from people who try to represent themselves. It's like anything else --- negotiation. I finished a case yesterday where the DA offered my client a non-criminal offense and 3 days community service and my client was ready to accept. However, I wasn't because I didn't think community service was warranted. After negotiating, I got the DA to totally drop the community service and saved my client 21 hours of his time. I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense for over 15 years. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me if you wish to retain counsel.

Read more
Answered on 12/02/11, 4:20 am

Mr. Rothstein is correct. It is always better to have an attorney with you to defend you and preserve your rights in court. We have substantial experience handling these types of cases and reasonable fees, however, we would need some more information before making a complete and proper determination. You are welcome to contact us for a free consultation.


401 Greenwich Street

New York, New York 10013


[email protected]

The information provided by Czik Law PLLC (CLP) is for general educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship established by this communication and no privilege attaches to such communication. CLP is not taking and will not take any action on your behalf and will not be considered your attorney until both you and CLP have signed a written retainer agreement. There are strict deadlines, called statutes of limitation, within which claims or lawsuits must be filed. Therefore, if you desire the services of an attorney and decide not to retain CLP on terms acceptable to CLP, you are advised to immediately seek the services of another attorney.


Read more
Answered on 12/02/11, 8:05 am
Robert Evans Robert S. Evans esq.

You are charged with a misdemeanor which may result in your having a permanent criminal record. An experienced criminal defense attorney should be able to protect your rights and interests. That attorney absent exascerbating circumstances should be able to negotiate a disposition which will not result in your having such a criminal record. Please contact my office @ 7188340087 fo a free phone consultation.

Read more
Answered on 12/02/11, 8:13 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in New York