Legal Question in Criminal Law in New York

My son has recently is facing contempt of court in the 1st degree and had not been picked up when the police showed up the other night. I am the complainant on the case. Unfortunately, i was foolish enough to to lure my son to my house while he was intoxicated, as further proof to the police and courts that he really needs more heat on him to complete inpatient rehab (which was already mandated and he didn't complete). I kept telling him to stay (because I knew the police were coming). and my son kept asking me if this was a set up for him to be arrested. I put on the police report that my son would not leave when i asked him to, and i wrote that he was intoxicated and has a serious drinking problem. If I write the judge a letter stating that I lured my son to the house as a way to try to get him further help for his drinking, could this 3rd charge be dropped? I dont want to see him get a felony on his record.

Asked on 11/29/11, 5:53 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys


A conversation initiated by an attorney with the ADA on the case would probably give him the best chances. It would also be highly recommended to retain an experienced lawyer to defend him and preserve his rights in court. It would also greatly increase the chance of lowering the charges. We have substantial experience handling these types of cases and reasonable fees, however, we would need some more information before making a complete and proper determination. You are welcome to contact us for a free consultation.


401 Greenwich Street

New York, New York 10013


[email protected]

The information provided by Czik Law PLLC (CLP) is for general educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship established by this communication and no privilege attaches to such communication. CLP is not taking and will not take any action on your behalf and will not be considered your attorney until both you and CLP have signed a written retainer agreement. There are strict deadlines, called statutes of limitation, within which claims or lawsuits must be filed. Therefore, if you desire the services of an attorney and decide not to retain CLP on terms acceptable to CLP, you are advised to immediately seek the services of another attorney.

Read more
Answered on 12/01/11, 7:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in New York