Legal Question in Criminal Law in New York

Can a domestic violence victim help the defendant in court knowing that the police pressured her into exaggerating a situation and writing a false statement?

Asked on 5/20/11, 6:14 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

peter bark bark & karpf

Yes, contact his lawyer and disclose the true facts. If the lawyer knows what he is doing, he can help his client without you getting into trouble.

Read more
Answered on 5/21/11, 10:01 pm
John Campbell Law Office Of John Campbell

The domestic violence victim should retain her our attorney immediately and then her attorney should contact the defendant's attorney. Her attorney might consider contacting the district attorney and letting them know that the "victim" was pressured. You really should have your own attorney. Also, your attorney should explain to you what the district attorney has to do to properly serve you with a subpoena or other court process to make you come to court. You must consult with an attorney but, generally if a person is not properly served they are under no legal obligation to show up in court. Be very careful here however, if you are properly served and don't appear you can be held in contempt of court or face other legal problems. Get an attorney now. The defendant's attorney cannot represent your interests and the defendant's interests at the same time. Call me if you have any questions. John Campbell 914-833-9785 or visit my website at

Read more
Answered on 5/23/11, 7:05 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in New York