Legal Question in Criminal Law in New York

I was selling a brand new iphone 7 on CL and the buyer gave my $910 in fake bills and ran off I filled a police report (they took all the fake bills) and was told by the police since i purchased by credit to contact my card issuer and see if I have purchase protection, unfortunately Barclay Visa only offers that benefit in the UK so speaking to another sergeant they said i might be able to get "Crime Victims´┐Ż Compensation" after reviewing the requirements I don't think I meet them. Is there anything else I can do?

Asked on 9/27/16, 6:43 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jason Stern Law Offices of Jason Stern

If the "buyer" communicated with you prior to the transaction there should be a record of his phone number for the police to track him down. If you still have the receipt, Apple may have the serial number and you can report the phone as stolen and they may be able to deactivate it. I'm sorry that you were victimized in this manner. It's more common than you might think. Best of luck,

Read more
Answered on 9/27/16, 7:28 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in New York